Monday, September 17, 2018

"I AM Malala"

We are currently practicing making connections to text and making predictions. We are using our read-aloud book, "I Am Malala," to connect to Malala's experiences as a girl wanting to go to school in Pakistan. We are examining our experiences and rights as students in the United States. I am excited to dive deeper into the story. It is my hope that my students will see that even though Malala lived a vastly different lifestyle in the Middle East, we all want the right to an education. Malala does the same things as any 15-year-old girl in the United States - like gossip and study for exams. But, she also overcomes many hurdles to fight for the rights of girls to go to school. This story also lends itself to other reading strategies like compare/contrast. As I write this post, more and more ideas come to mind. This is what excites me about reading - and teaching reading! The possibilities!!!






The students are currently journaling their connections and predictions, and checking their predictions, as we read. I am eagerly anticipating the next post, where my students create discussion videos in their online portfolios. 

No comments:

Post a Comment